Thursday, June 4, 2009

Elementary Tatvamasi


Courtesy Blog Posted By Ms.Krithi on 29th May 2007
How do you teach a six year old where to find God? Don’t bother. She will teach you instead. From where does the rain fall to How many buckets of water are there in the ocean to Why do we grow old, the curious questions of my six year old have been especially trying on my grey cells. Yet, I’ve tried hard to provide answers that convince her almost always.But last night, all ingenuity evaded me when she asked if she could marry Lord Krishna. I was stumped. “But Krishna is God baby”, I offered by way of a clever explanation to what’s impossible to explain. She didn’t give up. “As he is God, I guess I have to die and go to heaven to meet him”, she said.I corrected her that she didn’t have to do that because God is everywhere and one doesn’t have to go to heaven to find him.That seemed to make a little more sense to her. Nodding in agreement my six year old daughter declared simply “ Cool. Then I know what to do. I will look into my heart and find him.” ( elementary my dear Krithika!!!)A weighty statement of ecstatic enlightenement “Aham Brahmasmi” stated with absolute conviction.I marveled at the truth of the statement while reflecting that such innocence and knowledge is only possible in children. When we grow up, we tend to lose this realization and seek solace in religion and Godmen. We search for the truth in vain and remain tired hungry souls. We pray, we meditate, but doubt lurks in the murky depths of our soul. We need to be reminded of “Tatvamasi - The best place you can find God is within yourself”My daughter’s simple truth has opened my eyes.As for opening my heart to find God, that’s a different matter

No comments: