Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Idol and the Stepping Stone


Once, in a Hindu temple, when the priest had gone for a lunch, the Stepping Stone of the temple had a conversation with the idol. The Stepping Stone told the Idol: What a good fortune you have? We both were the same lump of rock for millions of years. Now, The sculptor had carved an idol out of you and everyone is worshipping you. And look at me, I am just a stepping stone and every one stamps and stands on me. I am suffering here but you are enjoying all the time. What kind of life is this?

The Idol kept smiling, didn't bother to answer this question, but the stepping stone just couldn't keep quiet. Then the Idol slowly remarked: “Do you remember when the sculptor set out to carve an idol, he chose you first. But then, you were so impatient. You couldn't tolerate the strikes of the hammer and within a few strikes, you broke into two. On the other hand, when he tried on me, I grinned, I smiled, I beamed with joy and bore all the hammers and chisel strikes with patience and persistence. Here I am the worshipful and the happy”

No comments: